Directions: Read each of the following passages. Answer the questions that follow.
The First Amendment of the United States Constitution states, in part, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…”
In this passage, the word establishment means:
- a commercial organization
- official recognition as a national institution
- allowing public expression
In this passage, the phrase free exercise means:
- unrestricted practice
- fitness without cost
- limited if it offends someone
practiced only in private
The First Amendment states that which of the following is prohibited?
- free exercise of religion
- respecting religion
- praying at public events
Congress imposing an official national religion
What is the main idea of the passage?
- Citizens may not express their religious beliefs publicly.
- The government may neither force a specific religion on citizens, nor limit how citizens practice religion.
- The government must reject all forms of belief in God.
- Religious expression is prohibited on government property, at government funded events, and by government employees.
The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution states, “A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”
In this passage, the word arms means:
- weapons and ammunition
- hunting rifles
- body parts
According to this passage, what is to be well-regulated?
According to the Second Amendment, people have the right to bear arms in order to _____ .
- hunt deer
- form militias
- protect themselves from burglars
shoot at clay pigeons
A militia is:
- an army composed of ordinary citizens rather than professional soldiers.
- a hunting organization
- a law that restricts gun ownership
the police department
In this passage, the best meaning for the word infringed is:
- the hem of a garment
What is the main idea of the Second Amendment?
- Guns must be controlled to keep whackos from killing children
- Only government military and police should have assault rifles.
- All citizens have the right to unrestricted weapon ownership so they can form militias.
- People can own guns so they can hunt, shoot targets, and threaten bad guys.
9 – 10 correct: You can read and understand what you read. You do not allow bias to cloud your judgment.
8 correct: You may need to brush up on your reading skills, or else use them more objectively.
6 – 7 correct: You either lack basic critical reading skills, or fail to use them when you don’t like what you are reading.
0 – 5 correct: You are either illiterate, or you are blinded by political ideology.